Saturday 13 February 2010

Fear and Loathing in the Bagging Area

posted 26 Nov 2009 16:07 by Dick Pountain   [ updated 26 Nov 2009 16:27 ]

Dont'cha just love supermarkets' self-checkout machines? Whether they were invented to cut staff jobs or to speed customers' exit, they fail on both counts thanks to their crummy user-interfaces. On approaching the one in my local Sainsbury it offers a choice between "Start" and "I am using my own bag". Hmm, tough call, do I prefer to get out of here or do I prefer to brag about my green credentials? Obviously the latter, so I press it and end up staring at a button called "Done", while a female voice nags me about foreign objects in the bagging area. A helpful assistant presses "Done" for me in order to start the transaction. There appear to be more assistants helping people self-checkout than there are on the tills... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here and then click on the blue 'Publish' link at the right-hand side above

GILT BY ASSOCIATION

I don’t have any special credentials as a commentator on geopolitics, but occasionally, like now, I feel obliged to have a stab at it. The c...